It is highly recommended that your system is sanitized each year. Just follow these 16 steps*:
- Turn off incoming flow to the system.
- Open the faucet where the filtered water comes out (to relieve the pressure).
- Remove and open the filter housings. Be careful not to spill!
- Remove cartridges from housing.
- Remove and rinse the O-ring in the filter housings. Return O-ring to housing. FYI: Some manufacturers recommend replacing O-rings each year.
- Inspect cartridge for sediment buildup. If high sediment buildup is present it may be time to replace the cartridge.
- Clean filter housings with warm soapy water and a brush. Also, clean inside the filter housing cap.
- Prepare sanitizing solution in a clean bucket as follows: 1/3 teaspoon of unscented household bleach for 1 gallon of water.
- Add 1 cup of the sanitizing solutions to each filter housing. Replace the housing cap (DO NOT replace the cartridge)
- Replace housing into the system and run the system, letting the housing and system to fill with water.
- When water starts to flow out of the faucet, close the faucet.
- Allow water to flow through the housing and system for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes shut-off incoming flow, remove housing(s), and discard sanitizing solution.
- FYI: Place the carbon block cartridge (with netting) in the first housing, and the KDF/GAS cartridge (with plastic casing) in the second.
- Replace the housings with cartridges back intot he system, open the valve and allow water to flush the system for five minutes.
- Close the faucet and check the rates.
*See these steps in action below:
Read More →